Nearly every morning, I write Morning Pages. Morning Pages are a 'stream-of-consciousness' way of journaling, where you write down anything that comes up in your mind.
This technique, coined and created by Julia Cameron, can help you when you're stuck in your head. (Doing Morning Pages will also help you to surface (creative) ideas that you may have.)
However, there are days where I'm feeling somewhat numb, down, or don't know what to do next (in my life, haha!). On those days, I do a more structured way of journaling. I use writing prompts in my journal.
Using Journal prompts
In this instance of journaling, you'll still do stream-of-consciousness writing, like Morning Pages, but you use the prompts to seed your mind. It helps bring to the surface parts of yourself that you are generally blind to, which aids immensely in self-discovery.
I classified the journal prompts into three categories:
- Journal prompts for increasing self-love.
- Journal prompts for self-discovery & clarity.
- Journal prompts for self-improvement.
Since I'm 33 years old now, I thought I'd share the top 33 of the journal prompts that helped me most! I sincerely hope you get some great insights from journaling on these prompts!
Journaling prompts for self-love.
- Who is someone who has taught you about unconditional love?
- What do you like about your body? (Write it with compassion and love in mind.)
- How would you describe love with all your five senses?
- What recent loving interaction did you have?
- Do you deserve to be loved?
- How has someone changed your life through their kindness?
- What does self-love mean to you? (Write a letter of self-love to yourself.)
- Have you experienced the difference between conditional and unconditional love in your life?
- How can you open yourself up to love/being loved more easily?
- How does fear hold you back in loving and being loved?
- Are your actions guided by love or by fear? (h/t Luminita)
Journaling prompts for self-discovery & clarity.
- Whom do you want to share this life with? (h/t Visakan)
- What would you do if fear was not a factor and you were unable to fail?
- Who do you want to serve (in life, in your business)?
- What is your greatest regret?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What do you miss (from your life)?
- What are you afraid to do?
- What are you willing to do that most others won't or can't do?
- Who are the most valuable people in your life right now?
- Who in your life understands you best? Why?
- What would you do if you had just one hour to live? A day? A year?
Journaling prompts for self-improvement.
- How are your biggest strength and biggest weakness related?
- What gives you the most energy?
- How have you been complicit in sabotaging yourself?
- What limiting beliefs do you have?
- What are you grateful for in life?
- What makes you most happy and fulfilled?
- If a future you would write a letter to you now, what would it say?
- What habits increase your quality of life?
- What are your biggest wasters of time?
- What changes do you want to see in your life in three years? In ten?
- When do you feel most confident? And when the least confident?